- District 1 – October 30, 2021, time and location TBD
- District 2 – September 11, 2021, time and location TBD
- District 3 – October 16, 2021, time and location TBD
- District 4 – October 23, 2021, time and location TBD
- District 5 – October 9, 2021, time and location TBD
- District 6 – September 18, 2021, time and location TBD
The 2021 Soroptimist Development Retreat is tentatively scheduled for July 10th-11th, 2021. More news to follow!
Soroptimist means “best for women” and that’s what the organization strives to achieve. Soroptimists are women at their best, working to help other women to be their best.
Throughout history and still to this day, women throughout the world face obstacles solely because of their gender. They disproportionately suffer from poverty and discrimination. It’s for this reason that Soroptimist, an organization of and by women, chooses to focus on the special challenges facing women and girls.
Soroptimist International Sierra Nevada Region represents over 1400 members in 54 clubs located from Sacramento to Yreka in California and all of the state of Nevada. In addition to providing women and girls with access to an education, these clubs and our members also participate in the global organization-wide programs.
Our Work and Impact
Our years of experience working with women and girls has taught us that education is the key to unlocking economic empowerment of the world’s women and girls. When women and girls are educated, they have opportunity, choice and power to make healthy decisions for themselves and their families.
How We Do It
Our Dream Programs are primarily delivered locally by our clubs and members in 21 countries and territories. They provide the muscle and on-the-ground work that make our programs come alive.
Live Your Dream: Education & Training Awards for Women
Dream It, Be It: Career Support for Girls
Through this program Soroptimist clubs provide girls who come from difficult circumstances with guidance, training and resources that will prepare them for career success. We intervene at just the right time to put girls on a path to a brighter future.
We are growing a new wave of volunteers and activists through our online platform, LiveYourDream.org. Our supporters are raising awareness about some of the most serious challenges facing women and girls, and helping to promote access to our Dream Programs.
Education is the key to gender equality, which has yet to be achieved anywhere in the world.
- 1 in 3 women has been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused in her lifetime. (Amnesty International USA)
- 1 in 4 high school-age girls in the United States does not graduate. (National Women’s Law Center)
- Of single mothers under 30, only 7% have finished college in the U.S. (The Shriver Report)
- Women earn $.52 to every $1 earned by men (global average). (World Economic Forum)
We work to empower women every day.
At Soroptimist, we are all about empowering women and girls. But what does that really mean?